SVCA Meeting Minutes (May 2014)
July 28, 2014
4340 Tokay Blvd
Madison, WI 53711
Ken Raffa, President
Brian Anderson, Treasurer
Josh Arnold, Secretary
Anne B. Raffa
Meeting brought to order at 6:30 by Ken Raffa.
- Sign up sheet was circulated and introductions
- Minutes from May 5, 2014 were approved.
Josh Arnold will send them to Brad to post on the SVCA website.
Announcements & Reports -- Correspondence from the City (Ken Raffa)
- Accessory Dwelling Unit plans were circulated for 220 N. Meadow Ln.
Please see accompanying discussion in New Business below.
- Former Mt Olive site demolition (letter from Madison Police Department dated July 21, 2014)
- The existing driveway to Westmorland Blvd will be closed and secured and will grade and seed the site. No new construction is proposed at this time; construction of the new project will begin in 2015 or 2016 depending on funding.
- Ken circulated email correspondence indicating minor discrepancies between the draft
University Hill Farms neighborhood plan and the Hoyt Park Joint Neighborhood Plan.
Friends of Hoyt Park (Cheri Swenson)
- The Friends of Hoyt Park will be hosting a work day on August 9 to address water erosion projects - everyone is invited.
- An Eagle Scout presented a project for funding by the Friends of Hoyt Park to build a bat house and bat nursery. The Friends approved funding for this project.
Treasurerís Report (Brian Andersen)
- $5,350 general account - before costs of most recent newsletter printing
- $1,260 Hoyt Plan account
Informal discussion about how to most effectively utilize Hoyt Plan account funding Some suggestions: Shared equipment in the neighborhood, invest in neighborhood events, parties at Hoyt Park or other locations
Newsletter (Liz Vowles)
- Proposal (Ulrike): Recognize Liz and Andrew for their great service to the neighborhood with the newsletter! Second (Ken) Ken presented Liz and Andrew with Sunset Village Pint Glasses.
- Newsletters take usually around 5 hours; this one took 7 hours - Liz does the content;
Andrew does the layout - Liz and Andrew have been doing the newsletter for a few years now
- Ken has printed archives; Josh has printed archives
Discussion - where should neighborhood archives be stored? Should they be scanned and posted on the website? Could we pay someone to scan and organize the archives? Should the public library or historical society house the hard copies of the documents? The group expressed general interest in considering this opportunity in the future.
- Neighborhood Garage Sale (May 9, 10)
- Make Music Madison (June 21)
The group thanked the volunteer organizers of these events and encouraged continued participation. A discussion item was timing for the neighborhood garage sale. Ken will follow up with Amanda.
- Ice Cream Social (August 2) (Brian Andersen)
This Saturday, August 2, 2014 (1-4 pm) Lucia Crest
Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream - voting for flavors - received about 20 responses - for flavors cappuccino break, cherry amaretto fudge, chocolate, vanilla, Italian lemon ice
Great Dane beer
Opportunity to renew membership with SVCA
Pint Glasses will be sold (provided that SVCA is careful with glass in the park)
- Block Party (Sept 13) (Josh Arnold)
Island of Hillside Terrace
More information to come
- Halloween Parade (Alice and Steve Yuroff)
Brian added in a follow up email that he would contact Alice and Steve Yuroff about the Halloween parade and thought that Sunday, October 26 might be a good day to have it.
- Community Orchard, City Grant $2000 available for planting (Brian Andersen)
- Brian added in a follow up email that he received approval from the City to get an extension into 2015 to complete the project. He is working on approvals for specific tree varieties. Volunteer opportunities will be with cleanup of shrubbery this fall, and actual planting of bare root trees in April / May.
- Storage and usage of hinged signs (Ken Raffa)
Four hinged signs for the neighborhood are looking for a new home. Brian will follow up with Jason to use for ice cream social. Cheri offered to follow up with Friends of Hoyt Park to see if they can be housed at a storage facility at the park. The goal would be to make these signs available to all of the neighborhood groups and Friends of Hoyt Park to advertise neighborhood events, Hoyt Park work days, etc.
Brian added in a follow up email that he has two signs in his garage. The other two signs are with Rocky Bluff and Sunset Hills groups. He wrote that although Cheri offered to follow up with Friends of Hoyt Park to see if they can be housed at a storage facility at the park, it turns out that this storage is not needed.
- Accessory Dwelling Units (Ulrike Dieterle)
Discussion about ADU on Midvale and proposed ADU for Meadow Lane. The group decided to invite city staff such as Matt Tucker, Tim Parks, architects Design Coalition, Ald. Chris Schmidt or others to discuss the potential impacts of ADUís in the neighborhood and how to address those impacts -- what is the process for approving proposals for ADUs, exceptions to ADU zoning ordinance and implementation of the ADUs? How do the ADUís integrate with neighborhood plan? Discuss issues pro and con.
Ken will reach out to Matt Tucker and Tim Parks to organize a small meeting to discuss.
Topics of Interest - Future Speakers (Ken Raffa)
- Plans for former Mt. Olive - West Precinct Police Department
Meeting Adjourned 8:13 p.m.
Ken will reach out to the Police Department to discuss scheduling a speaker in the future.
Josh Arnold, SVCA Secretary