Sunset Village Community Association Logo
Home
Sunset Village Community Association
Madison, WI  53705
SVCA Meeting Minutes (June 2009)
6/9/2009

Great Dane Brewpub, Hilldale

19 people attended: Brian Andersen, Halle Andersen, Sutton Andersen, Janice Antoniewicz, Rachel Barnes, Carl Baumann, Kristine Beck, Ulrike Dieterle, A.M. Fuller, David Hyson, Margaret Hyson, Joia O?Brien, Kurt Reinhold, Ben Ringle, Liz Ringle, Chris Schmidt, Liz Vowles, Phil Werner, Chic Young

President Janice Antoniewicz-Werner called the meeting to order at 6:10 pm.

TREASURER?S REPORT
Treasurer Brian Andersen reported that we have a balance of $2692.40 in our checking account. We sold 23 Bucky Books; the margin on those sales is $12-13 per book.

WESTMORLAND NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION JULY 4 EVENT
Rachel will post an item about this event on the SVCA website.

NEIGHBORHOOD YARD SALE:
Dates are Friday & Saturday, July 31 and August 1. Ben & Liz Ringle are overseeing. They will place ads for the sale in the State Journal and Isthmus, put out a message on the Yahoo message board letting neighbors know the sale will be happening. They will also make a map and sandwich boards for use the days of the sale.

ICE CREAM SOCIAL
Date will be Saturday, August 8. Brian Andersen offered to coordinate. Chocolate Shoppe, Great Dane Brewpub, and Metcalfe?s Sentry will again donate food and beer. Liz Ringle said we need to recognize Sentry in particular for their generosity. It was suggested that we place free ads for all 3 vendors in the next newsletter.

HALLOWEEN PARADE
This year?s parade will be on Halloween proper, since it is a Saturday. Brian Andersen will coordinate/publicize among the neighborhood.

NEIGHBORHOOD GRANTS FROM THE CITY
Janice brought up the subject of City of Madison grants which we may want to apply for. The mini-grants are for up to $200,000. Major grants are for over $200,000 and require matching funds. Applications for the Spring grant cycle are due in February.

Two ideas for grants were presented: 1) Motion-sensor lights for the neighborhood for energy efficiency, and 2) Funds for gardens from which people would donate produce to local food pantries. Community Action Coalition has a program like this through which we could coordinate our efforts.

MEETING SPACE
Janice solicited suggestions for other places for our SVCA meetings. One option is the Sequoya Library; another option is to return to Capital City Church. Janice will investigate the library for our next meeting.

NEXT MEETING IS SCHEDULED FOR TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 8

The meeting was adjourned at 6:52 pm.

ADDENDUM: VISIT WITH ALDER CHRIS SCHMIDT
Alder Schmidt arrived late, having been detained at a Council meeting.

He addressed the following topics:

1) pedestrian safety on Mineral Point Road; city plans to address this issue this year;
2) Greenway btwn Hillcrest and Upland is eroding; the city is sorting out how to handle this;
3) Let Alder Schmidt know if you live adjacent to Hoyt Park and did NOT get a reverse-911 call the day of the incident with the armed man going into the park;
4) Parking on Heather Crest/Owen/Meadow Lane-expanding bus service has made these streets de facto park-and-rides; Alder Schmidt is aware of this issue and will be representing the neighborhood?s interests in discussion with the city about parking;
5) DOT site is in limbo; no buyers have come forward yet. The state has begun to more seriously consider renovating;
6) Pit behind Sentry?owners are supposed to start grading, fixing the fence, and planting some vegetation for screening. If in one year there is no buyer, it will be turned into green space. Neighbors suggested putting a park or community gardens in the space.
7) Sequoya Commons?construction has been delayed; no further news.
8) Analysis of pedestrian use in the city (re safety and access issues); Alder Schmidt says there is no centralized city planning of pedestrian areas. The neighborhood would have to push for its own plan;
9) Blackhawk Avenue left turn onto University Ave.; resident brought up how unsafe this corner is for left turns and thinks left turns should be banned, at least for certain hours of the day. Alder Schmidt will bring this up in the context of the planned re-design of University Ave from Shorewood Blvd to Segoe.
10) Safe Community Slowdown campaign: should we get involved?
11) Comprehensive Neighborhood Plan (traffic, pedestrian safety, parking). We don?t have one! It takes time and money. Chris will talk with our President, Janice. In the meantime, Midvale Heights/Westmorland does have one. It is available for study at mhwplan.org.

About Us             Contact Us             Map             Bylaws             SVCA Yahoo! Group